Migraine is the most prevalent illness in the world. Migraine is a powerful headache that causes severe pain on one side of the head. But in a few cases, the attack can be on both sides of the head.
A migraine attack is most common in the people between the ages of 18 to 44. Migraine attacks usually last for 4 hours to 72 hours and the duration varies from person to person. The pain is so severe that it affects the daily routine of sufferers.
When you experience a migraine attack, consider contacting an experienced migraine specialist to avoid further medical complications.
How Can I Identify Migraine?
The symptoms of migraine may begin one or two days before the attack and the symptoms vary from person to person. The most common symptoms of migraine include:
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Low energy
- Mood swings
- Stiffness in neck
- Frequent yawning
- Food cravings
Some people may also experience an aura before or during the attack. An Aura leads to the visual disturbances such as light flashes or dark spots, difficulty while speaking and tingling sensation in the arm, legs or face.
What Are The Causes Of Migraine?
The exact cause of migraine is not found yet. Many scientists believe that migraine occurs due to the changes in the blood flow in the brain or due to the family genes. Some of the common causes of migraine are listed below:
- Stress: Stress, anxiety, depression can cause migraine.
- Physical Health: Insufficient sleep, tiredness, poor body posture may also trigger a migraine.
- Hormone Changes: Women can experience migraine during the menstruation due to the hormonal changes in their body.
- Food and Drinks: Food and drinks such as cheese, chocolates, citrus fruits and alcohol are also listed as the causes of migraine.
- Caffeine: Due to the intake of a high amount of caffeine, the blood vessels get used to it and when it is not consumed, people may experience a headache.
- Medications: Use of some medications such as sleeping pills may also result in migraine.
- Weather Changes: People may also have migraine attack due to changes in weather conditions such as strong winds and cold.
What Are The Treatment Options For Migraine?
There is no cure for migraine, but the following lifestyle changes can help you reduce the migraine attack:
- Have enough sleep in a day
- Reduce your stress
- Have plenty of water and avoid food that can trigger migraine
- Perform regular physical exercise.
If the above mentioned changes do not reduce the frequency or symptoms of migraine, consider seeking further treatment options from a certified doctor. The doctor provides you with the medication based on your age, frequency of the migraine attack, the type of migraine and the severity.
The treatment methods are aimed at preventing or reducing the symptoms and frequency of migraine.
Why Dr. Nikhil for Migraine?
If you are suffering from a migraine attack, consult Dr. Nikhil, a migraine specialist in Hyderabad. He has successfully treated thousands of migraine sufferers in Hyderabad. Dr. Nikhil will evaluate your condition and will make an individualised treatment plan based on the severity. With Dr. Nikhil, you can assure that your condition is diagnosed by a doctor, who has expertise in treating migraine.