Paediatric neurology often called child neurology is a specialised branch of medicine where the neurologists deal with the diagnosis & management of various neurological conditions in newborns, infants, children and adolescents. Paediatric neurology includes the diseases and disorders associated with the brain, spinal cord, nervous system, muscles and blood vessels in children.
What type of conditions do child neurologists treat?
If a child has any problems associated with the nervous system, a paediatric neurologist is the one who has the knowledge to assess, diagnose and treat the condition of the child. The conditions treated by paediatric neurologists considerably vary, from simple disorders such as migraine to more complex conditions such as neurodegenerative disorders.
The type of neuro conditions treated by our best pediatric neurologist include:
- Genetic disorders of the nervous system
- Congenital metabolic abnormalities affecting the nervous system
- Birth defects associated with the brain and spinal cord like spina bifida
- Childhood epilepsy
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Neurological developmental issues during childhood
- Movement disorders like cerebral palsy
- Progressive neuromuscular conditions
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Behavioural disorders
- Abnormal mental development, speech disabilities and learning disabilities
- Headaches and migraine
- Head injuries and their complications
- Brain tumours
- Sleep disorders
- Vascular disorders
- Intellectual disability
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Tremors (uncontrollable movements)
Well, most of the paediatric neurologist doesn’t perform surgeries. Surgical interventions are taken care of by paediatric neurosurgeons. They were specially trained to treat special surgical problems in children affecting the brain, spine or peripheral nerves.
Are There Any Signs Of Neurological Disorders?
The signs of neurological disorders vary based on the type of disorder as well as the specific part of the body, which is affected. You might experience emotional symptoms, whereas, in some instances, physical symptoms also observed.
For instance, you may experience emotional symptoms such as mood swings, depression & Physical symptoms, which may include:
- Partial or complete paralysis
- Muscle weakness
- Partial or complete loss of sensation
- Trouble in reading and writing
- Poor cognitive abilities
- Unexplained pain
- Decreased alertness
Diagnostic Tests Performed By Pediatric Neurologist
A neurologist is one who can diagnose any neuro disorder, but probably you might need some tests to confirm specific problems. Depending on the symptoms, the following tests are performed:
- Blood and urine tests performed to find infections, toxins or protein disorders.
Imaging tests of the brain or spine can help to detect tumours, brain damage, nerves or disc damage.
- EEG(electroencephalograph) to look for seizures. The machine helps to look for problems by recording electrical activity in your brain.
- EMG(electromyogram) – a communication test between a nerve and the muscle to evaluate and record the electrical activity of skeletal muscles.
- Evoked potentials tests – a series of tests to measure the response of the brain and stimulation of hearing, vision, and functions of specific nerves.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) – A type of imaging tests help to take images of the brain and spine to look for any of the signs of brain tumour, multiple sclerosis, infections, certain genetic disorders etc.
- Spinal tap(lumbar puncture) – it is a test where a small amount of fluid around your brain and spinal cord is removed by inserting a needle to look for the signs of inflammation or infection.
- A muscle or nerve biopsy is a procedure where a small amount of tissue is taken and tested under a microscope to look for signs of specific signs of neuromuscular disorders.
Our child neurologists work closely with paediatricians, physical therapists, occupational and speech therapists to provide the best care of their potential. Our centre for neurology equipped with end to end facilities to treat rare disorders like neurodegenerative conditions, intractable epilepsy or paediatric stroke etc.